In Preschool we have been enjoying learning all about Dinosaurs. We have been taking part in so many different activities which has helped support us in learning about different species of dinosaurs and their characteristics. We have extended our learning in different areas of the EYFS by creating different activities to support our learning in each of the areas.
We have been enjoying our new dinosaur fact books in Preschool. This is how we decided upon our fossil activities.
Our activity started by using clay and plastic dinosaurs to create our own dinosaur fossils. We had so much fun rolling out the clay and pushing the dinosaurs into it to mould our fossils.
Expressive arts & design. : Exploring and using media and materials.
• Manipulates materials to achieve a planned effect.
• Beginning to be interested in and describe the texture of things.
Communication and Language: Listening & Attention
• Is able to follow directions (if not intently focused on own choice of activity).
Our fossil making fun led onto one of our favourite activities which has been to search and uncover fossils! We had trays which were filled with sand, which hid our very own dinosaur fossils. We used dry paintbrushes to brush the sand off our fossils to carefully uncover them.
We role-played at being explorers and even used a very big new word ‘palaeontologist’ which is a scientist who is an expert in fossils.
Understanding the World: The World.
• Looks closely at similarities, differences, patterns and change.
Understanding the World: People and Communities.
• Shows interest in different occupations and ways of life.