Preschool have been exploring the sounds of musical instruments and how we can play them. There has been lots of fun banging, shaking and making lots of noise! We hunted around the room to see what else could be used as an instrument and found pans and bowls and used wooden spoons to play them. Looking on the internet, we discovered lots of unusual instruments from around the world and the sounds they make.
With the help of their parents some of the children have followed on the theme at home, using recycled materials to make their musical instruments and one of our Preschool friends brought in a whistle that was made in India.
Physical Development: Moving & Handling 40-60+ months
• Uses simple tools to effect changes to materials
Understanding the World: The World 30-50 months
• Talks about why things happen and how things work
• Comments & asks questions about aspects of their familiar world such as where they live or the natural world
Expressive Arts & Design: Exploring Media & Materials 30-50 months
• Taps out simple repeated rhythms
• Explores & Learns how sounds can be changed
Expressive Arts & Design: Exploring Media & Materials 40-60+ months
• Explores the different sounds of instruments
• Manipulate materials to achieve a planned effect
• Construct with a purpose in mind, using a variety of resources