In the baby room we have been focussing on experiencing different physical activities whilst exploring in the garden. We have tried to find activities that all ages and abilities will be able to participate in and enjoy.
One of the activities which all of the children enjoyed was playing with the parachute. We placed all of the children in a circle on the grass and encouraged them to hold part of the parachute. Some children wanted to stand up and some children were sat down. We then began to shake the parachute to watch all of the movements and colours. Some of the children imitated their carers by joining in to shake it, and others smiled and laughed as they looked up at all of the moving colours and the other children laughing, whilst others wanted to sit on top of the parachute and laughed when it was stuck under them.
To further develop the children’s learning in this activity, we sang some songs such as the rainbow song to begin to introduce the names of colours to the children.
• Making Relationships: Builds relationships with special people (8-20 months)
• Making Relationships: Interacts with others and explores new situations when supported by a familiar person (8-20 months)
• Making Relationships: Shows interest in the activities of others and responds differently to children and adults (8-20 months)
• Managing feelings and behaviour: Uses familiar adult to share feelings such as excitement (8-20 months)
• The World: Closely observes what people do. (8-20 months)
• Exploring and Using Media and Materials: Imitates and improvises actions that they have observed (8-20 months)