Children of all ages love exploring musical instruments. Our babies smile and move their whole bodies to sounds they enjoy, such as music or a regular beat, and hit and bang instruments with their hands. Our toddlers join in by singing their favourite songs, create sounds by banging, shaking, tapping or blowing and show curiosity in the way different musical instruments sound. Our Preschool children love to sing familiar songs and are beginning to move and clap rhythmically, tapping out simple repeated rhythms and exploring how sounds can be changed.
Throughout their time at nursery, the children build a repertoire of songs and movements and develop their fine and gross motor skills through exploration of instruments. Music is also great for developing listening and attention, and is a great group activity to encourage collaborative working, turn taking and sharing. At nursery, we include a variety of age-appropriate activities as well as free play to incorporate music and movement throughout the age groups.
Move their whole bodies to sounds they enjoy, such as music or a regular beat.
Begins to move to music, listen to or join in rhymes or songs.
- Joins in singing favourite songs.
- Creates sounds by banging, shaking, tapping or blowing.
- Shows an interest in the way musical instruments sound.
- Sings a few familiar songs.
- Beginning to move rhythmically.
- Imitates movement in response to music.
- Taps out simple repeated rhythms.
- Explores and learns how sounds can be changed.
- Begins to build a repertoire of songs and dances.
- Explores the different sounds of instruments